Sunday, June 7, 2009

Mastermind Volunteers

UNGANA'S Mastermind volunteers spent this last week performing demo lessons, discussing classroom management strategies, and teaching 150 children at Mubano 1 school. Allow me to introduce the volunteer teachers:

Hello, my name is Maren Jacobson. I am volunteering in Giyseni for the month of June. I love it here. I am originally from Austin, Texas, but attend school in Logan, Utah at Utah State University. My reasons for coming out here are many, mainly my love for new experiences and new people. Having been here for just one week, I am very much looking forward to this next month and its events.

My name is Amber Rhodes. I am volunteering with the Ungana Foundation in Giyseni for their pilot teaching program. I have been assigned to specifically teach music and English. I am from Spokane, WA. I graduated from Eastern Washington University with a bachelor’s degree in Communications Studies and minors in music and Spanish. I am very grateful to have this opportunity to teach and volunteer here in Africa and I look forward to the next few weeks.

I am Ben Cragun and am here in Gisenyi volunteering with the Ungana Foundation’s teaching program, Masterminds. I am from Granite Bay, California, but have been at school in Provo, Utah at BYU for three years studying chemistry. Teaching is not my strength, but I am learning here how to be a patient teacher. I love to meet new people and have found a wealth of loving people here. I am excited to help the children here to have a better chance at succeeding in this world.

Hello dearest Ungana blog followers! My name is Christyn Costley and I am here in Rwanda volunteering with the Masterminds program teaching art and English. I have been here for almost three weeks and I absolutely love the people, the culture and immense natural beauty that surrounds me each day. I am originally from Ogden, Utah and have traveled quite extensively outside of my small hometown. I graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in International Studies and after volunteering here I will be working in Washington D.C. I know that I will walk away from this experience a more humble person and will gain more passion for serving those less fortunate. Therefore, I will forever be grateful for Ungana for granting me this opportunity.

While I find great refreshment in this team of talented and motivated volunteer teachers, I'm confident the next two weeks will bring both success and failure. However, along with talent and motivation, this group brings flexibility and imagination to every class and night discussion. I may function as their mentor, yet I assure you, their efforts have already taught me valuable lessons.

Ashley Linford
Programs Associate

2 comments:

D*C said...

GO UNGaNa! You guys are amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.