Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rwanda's Rebirth

Being that this is my first blog, I'll introduce myself. My name is Alex Erickson, I am the Managing Director of the Ungana Foundation, an exciting new development not-for-profit I am very proud to be a part of. In my meetings with government ministry officials, local community leaders and everyday people, I can't help but notice the positive reaction we receive for this project! I am equally impressed by the great opportunities for change that lay before our team of dedicated individuals.

Its hard to believe Rwanda crumbled only 15 years ago under a horrific genocide. The country's GDP fell by almost 80%, the government was completely washed, and millions of Rwandese were left traumatized. But in my personal experience I have seen a resiliancy in these people that is unmatched. They are innovating, rehabiliting themselves and flourishing as an example to the East African Community. However, don't let this inspirational story fool you. Rwanda is a dense nation of 10 million people, 90% of which are still in poverty. It still has a long way to go.

Its my hope our organization can make a difference here. We are giving our all to build the best supplemental primary education program. We will ensure entrepreneurs have proper training and financial needs. Physical health is something we see as a necessity for development. And we want to see Rwanda utilize their natural resources to the fullest, however small they may be.

We are thankful for all of your support and stay tuned for updates on our progress!

Mwrirwe

Alexander Erickson
Managing Director

No comments: